Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Camera: uncomfortable?

Stomach churning, shoulders up and tight with quickly flying thoughts of deep discomfort, insecurities and just plain being uncomfortable.

Not everyone was born with the ability of being at ease in front of a camera.  For many of us it is learned.  Too often we are way too cautious of every movement and facial tweak.  One of the major things to look for in a photographer, whether for you BIG day or for a family portrait, is how comfortable you feel with them.

Personalities clicking, as simple and strange as it seems, is a huge part of taking down that wall: Awkwardness.  Another great thing is if they can help you with posing.  

Before I take a couple or family out for their portraits, wedding, engagement or other wise, I like to have a bit of a feel for them as people.  Are you more laid back, are you silly?  Are you traditional?  Are you modern and chic?  In my head I lay out a palette of posing that might work for you.  

As silly as it sounds sometimes it helps to be shown what feels natural.  As soon as the cameras go up everything seems to change, "Wait you mean my shoulder shouldn't touch my earlobes?  But I feel so much better that way!?"

Here are a few shots of the session I had a while back and it shows how I like to do things.  I'm silly and not all are, so I get up and I literally position myself  how I might want them and then the results of what the actual pose looked like.

Hope you enjoy! 
















37 comments:

  1. I absolutely love all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always so stylish. Love how "involved" you are with your clients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the end I love feeling when a friendship is built

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! My mother-in-law got them for me: WIN!

      Delete
  4. soo cool! Love this photo series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I do the same thing, because I am a visual person. Love the black and white. Thanks for linking up and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your name... too awesome! I'm guessing you are a bit xmas obsessed like me unless you are even more awesome and happen to actually have Claus as a last name!

      Delete
  6. thanks for joining tina´s ww. if you like take the button :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great post! The tips are great and your photos are awesome! its always fun to see the pullbacks. beautiful photos and i agree, love the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What little I know I like to share for it took me too long to find people who were willing to share with me!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos! I love how you put yourself in the position as an example before taking the shot!
    Trisha
    Momma T and Baby E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes doing that for them to understand what you mean or that what you are saying is completely ridiculous, that happens too. . .

      Delete
  9. Lovely lighting.
    All said and done, I would like to be at the back of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind either side of the camera but I do agree I like to be in control of the shot... so that generally means behind the lens

      Delete
  10. You are so adorable. I am so jealous that you are so tiny the strap fits you around the shoulders :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you notice the shot with it around the shoulder in order I am contorted like the best of Cirque Du Soleil to get the camera up to my face

      Delete
  11. Great insights into your photography - and amazing lighting too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blushing a bit at that comment. Thanks Erika

      Delete
  12. Beautiful portraits.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely have an eye for a good picture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how fun. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic portraits. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milsztof! Completely off topic I really like the Bokeh background on your website... very photography but also makes me think of champagne which is always awesome to think about ;P

      Delete
  16. I really like your style. I really do believe that there is a real talent in portrait work! You have to be able to read the personality of the person and bring that out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all these photos - and I am totally jealous of your talent. I yearn to take awesome photos, I'd even settle for mediocre. I just want to take great pictures of my family.

    Again, awesome pictures!

    Stopping by from the Mommy Only Has 2 Hands WW linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is one really awesome tip I got given years ago: make sure who you are taking a picture of and where you are taken it are at different depths so that even if you have a point and shoot camera it allows for a similar effect as being able to adjust the aperture, try it out and let me know how you liked it!

      Delete