Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ready or not...


Everywhere I look I'm told to be myself.

Seems simple enough?  Well it is tell you are asked to do it.  I have been trying to have my photography (wedding specifically) take off for the last two years but I have been extremely focused this year.  Everything I read is all about branding.  "No matter what business you are in you need to define and maintain your "brand"".  

What does that even mean?  I have come to a place where I will make some assumptions about what that means: 
It means you have to define yourself.
It means you have to categorize yourself.
It means you have embody what you have defined and Categorized.


How do I define myself?

Seems somewhat simple, again... but again it is not so easy to define "yourself" in a way that is appealing.  It is like having to write an AD for yourself that will run from now until the end of time.  

How do I know?  

Who knew it is so hard to define yourself, to be yourself and to sell yourself?  
I'm a pretty confident person, ask my husband (he thinks a little too confident, at times), and "defining myself" didn't seem to daunt me in the slightest when I first heard it but know after trying it... Yea.

After a lot of thought I have decided to scrap any stringent line of what I "should be" or what I "want to be" and leave you with "who I am".  Boiled down to things about me that smack you in the face, in their simplest forms.

I am married to the love of my  life., my best friend and  business partner: Chris. 
Continuing on in this sickeningly sweet thought process (ready for your "Ahhhh" any moment now) Chris and I love to cook together.
I love media.  In all forms: art, music (though I just know what I like... not what is good), TV, movies, you name it and unfortunately for you I like to make references all the time.
I love sugar, a LOT too much but only I don't like cookies (save for Peanut butter... I mean really who can hate on some peanut butter cookies!)
I love fashion: including and not limited to hats!
I am pragmatic to a fault.
I am the youngest of five which has burdened the world with my desire to be heard: I am loud, out there and no one can stop me.
I believe in and trust in a true and loving God.

I don't know if that is what branding is "supposed" to look like but I don't care.  Here without finesse is who, in a small nutshell, I am.  

Ready or not world:

Here I come!



27 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the honesty of your post. Your brand is authentic to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi, it was really hard trying to be me... I don't understand. Literally makes no sense to me

      Delete
  3. Love learning more about you. Nice self portraits too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck defining yourself, and good luck with the business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, who knew that defining yourself is so hard.

      Delete
  5. Love the pics and that you are on this journey of figuring out who you are. The journey isn't always fun but the ending is amazing!! We are all evolving into more and more of ourselves. I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Being yourself is hard sometimes in a world where "the brand" is what people look for. I myself am not too sure what Branding is, but I do know it is important in the blog world, if your blog is your business and most photographers have blogs. But I wish you the best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I totally know what you mean. I searched and searched trying to find answers to what "branding" really is... this is the best I could find.

      Delete
  7. Love this! Way to be real and to post such an honest collage. :) (And holi canoli - that's a lot of Wednesday linkups!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know! I don't like to link up if I don't link back and so it leaves well... a long list. I feel silly but at the same time if I was one of the bloggers I left off... I wouldn't like it.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes, we just need to be real. None of the flashy photoshopping or anything. Sometimes, it's nice to just be you. I applause you for just keeping it simple. And thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often get applause so I will take a moment to bask. . .
      Now that my ego has been boosted: thank you for you compliment. Simple is what I like: just me... let's see if I can keep it up.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for joining the blog hop! Following you via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so kindly for the link up!

    http://www.thehunsblog.com w/ GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in the need of defining myself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't an easy task. I looked over things I liked. Things that are deeply apart of my daily life and started there. Ask some close friends what words/companies/thoughts that they automatically think of you for. . . that helped me like the fact that every time I see the number 11 I think of my sister: that is apart of her brand whether she know or likes it.

      Delete
  12. I love your facial expressions in the photos! Nice. Also, great message. :) I think everyone needs to take the time to stop and define themselves. What a great exercise. Thanks for linking up at Taylor Joelle Designs.

    http://taylorjoelleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I literally took these while trying to write this post. I get super nervous about things like this... things you can't take back. Permanent things. They make my stomach turn. I get that they can be tweaked but still... eeek

      Delete
  13. photos are just so authentic. Thanks for linking up.

    http://www.nycsinglemom.com/2012/01/31/chinese-new-year-dragon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting a link up... keeps me to a schedule and I know what I will be doing on Wednesdays!

      Delete
  14. can I say I hate on some peanut better cookies? I'm not a fan of peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete